Promo pic 2010

Promo pic 2010
New York City

Sunday, February 6, 2011

"When We Ruled Htown" screening and show...Fitzgerald's Houston, Tx 2/5/11

All I have to REALLY say is this: "It's about F'n time!!". However, for you to know what the hell I'm getting at, you will have to read more of this blog! (I'll try not to ramble...)
      It all started when I came across the Facebook page for a documentary called "When We Ruled Htown" being filmed. I saw my awesome gal pal, Allison Gibson (formerly of MANHOLE, currently with The Dollyrockers) being interviewed about what she experienced as a singer in a popular band here in Houston, Texas back in the early to mid 1990's. Houston had an INCREDIBLE music scene from about 1987 through 1997. Somehow, it just fizzled out. The clip also had other friends of mine, many from other popular groups such as Monster Soup, Taste Of Garlic, 30 FT Fall, Dead Horse, and more. After seeing this clip, the first thing that popped in my mind was "what about the JOINT CHIEFS???"...(I do believe I posted something on the wall, razzing whoever was responsible for NOT contacting us!)
     The Joint Chiefs was a band I played for (and was a founding member) from 1991 until 1995, when I left the group to join Carolyn Wonderland. We played all original music that sounded a bit like King Crimson meets Frank Zappa meets Primus meets XTC. There were 6 members: Jay Maulsby-Lead Vocals, Brett Needham-Chapman Stick, Vocals, Pat Stallings-Lead Guitar, Doren Bernard-Lead Guitar, Sax, and anything else we can get him to play, Scott Beliveau-Percussion and silly noises, & Leesa Harrington (ME)-Drums, Backing Vocals.
      Well, about 5 mins later I was contacted by J. Schnieder, the one resposible for the doc, explaining why I hadn't been contacted yet and asking me if We would like to be involved. Of course I said HELL YES, without hesitation!
        Fast forward several months later to when I am asked to rally my troops for the interview. Fortunately, I was in Houston healing a broken ankle...Unfortunately, I could only rally one other member to join me...Brett. If I had to pick one member to join me, it would be Brett. He and I are like musical soulmates. He can read my energy just as well as I read his. We met up at the meeting place and proceeded to do our interview. Cool thing was, we did the first half of it with another Houston celebrity...Mike Haaga from DEAD HORSE. Mike and I have done several other projects together, so it made sense that they interview us together. We just talked about what made Houston so special back then and what our thoughts were on why it fizzled out. Why didn't any of the amazing bands get any attention from the Major Racord Labels?? Why were only Austin bands getting respect? These are questions that will never be answered.
     Last night at Fitz, a music hall in the Heights area of Houston, they screened what was finished so far of the doc. After screening the film, a line-up of talent from those crazy days played. I do believe ALL of the bands were reuniting for the gig. MANHOLE went on at 9pm. They played like they've been together the whole time! Like 15 years hadn't passed! Being a former drummer for MANHOLE, I was very happy for the gals to pull such an awesome and powerful show off with just one rehearsal!
     Next up was TREAD. TREAD is a full frontal hardcore punk band with more attitude then there was room for! They tore it up! Really got the mosh pit rollin'! DINASAUR SALAD took the stage next. They were another band that sounded like they had been together this whole time! It was timeless! They had the audience singing along to their tunes...it was 1994 all over again!
     TASTE OF GARLIC, with doc creator J. Schnieder on Bass Guitar, proceeded to give everyone a taste of power! I really like TOG back in the day. They were interesting. They didn't try to sound like any other band. I loved their silliness. They brought all of that, and then some, to the stage last night!
     UNFORTUNATLY, I bowed out early...I'm old...I missed MONSTER SOUP and SPUNK. Two of the most popular bands on the bill. SPUNK's singer, Tod Waters, flew in from L.A. where he designs clothing for the big shots (JUNKER) and Robbie from MONSTER SOUP flew in from La La land, as well. I am absolutely positive that those two groups put on one hell of a show. I'm sorry I missed it. (especially after paying a whopping $15 to get in!)
     It was awesome seeing everyone, especially if you could recognize them! Seems most of the dudes have some sort of grey in their facial hair or on their head. Someone made a comment to the audience that we should all remember to take our Geritol after the show! Some of us (ehemmm...me) are grandparents, ya know!

I don't have any information on when the doc will be finished and released for public consumption. When I get the info, I'll pass it on. Meanwhile, check out the Facebook page at "When We Ruled Htown".
Harrington, OUT!

2 comments:

  1. It was a great night. In the audience I saw members of a few bands that were unfortunately overlooked for inclusion that truly fit that "When We Ruled H-Town" encompassing. I offer you: Pain Teens, Sugar Shack, P.D.B. and Cinco Dudes. If there is any tape left, I hope that there is some reconsideration of their inclusion...as well as at least an interview with J.R. Delgado, who's club The Axiom launched almost all of the bands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @shemuses....
    A lot of bands were "overlooked", but in J's defense, there were SO MANY bands back then that he couldn't fit them all. I spoke to him about the project and he said that he got so many messages about this band and that band and how they were overlooked. He said that he wishes he could have put everyone in the film, but just didn't have the budget. J knows about the bands that weren't mentioned....and we all love those bands, but he did the best he could!!! The doc is gonna rock. I think it is more about Houston's scene rather than who was in what band.

    ReplyDelete