Promo pic 2010

Promo pic 2010
New York City

Friday, February 11, 2011

ANOTHER RUN: The Next BIG Thing.

I have been a part of the Houston music scene since the mid 1980's. I've seen many awesome bands come and go in this town. Bands that had so much talent and potential for success, that it was unbelievable that they didn't get discovered. Some of the bands were ones that I was in. After a few decades, I realized that it wasn't the talent that kept us down, but the fact that we were in Houston.
Houston is a town that does NOT embrace their arts...and that includes the music. Houston's Blues heritage includes legends like Lightnin' Hopkins, Albert Collins, Joe "Guitar" Hughes, Calvin Owens, and many more...too many to mention. With talent like that, one would think there would be at least a section in a museum dedicated to it. Or maybe a plaque somewhere downtown...SOMETHING!! Duke Peacock records was located here...songs like "Great Balls Of Fire", "Chantilly Lace",and "Tighten Up" were recorded here at Sugarhill Studios, which is still a prominant recording studio to this day. I just don't understand why this history is just swept under the rug.
For the past several years, it seems that the music scene here had just fizzled. No great bands to brag about. Just the same ol' cover bands and blues cats trying to get heard. I had to go to New York just to find a good band to play for and make a living. WELL...that has changed. At least with one band. I've known these young men since they were in High school...one of them since he was about 6 yrs old. I'm talking about ANOTHER RUN. 
ANOTHER RUN is an AMAZING group of guys with talent bursting from the seams. I was completely blown away when I saw them live the other night. They were playing a last minute show at Warehouse Live; trying to win a spot on a festival, opening for My Morning Jacket. Their music reminds me of Kings Of Leon, with a touch of Muse, and a sprinkle of U2. However, their sound is all their own. One truly unique thing about them is their singer, Adrian, not only fronts the band with his powerful vocals, but beats the skins next to their drummer, Beef. When he's not up front on the mic, he steps back behind a second set of drums and plays some incredible double drum parts. It's something that just HAS to be seen! The guitarist, Zak, is the one I have known for over 20 years. (I've played in many bands with his older brother). Zak is one hell of a guitarist. His style is almost a throw back to the early 80's...like THE JAM, or early PRETENDERS. He's great to watch,too. Bob, the bassist, is a character. With his Salvador Dali mustache and his amazing energy, he is so much fun to watch...and his playing is phenomenal! He's got a great mix of melody and pocket. Which brings me to the newest member, who I haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet, but feel like I know already. His name is Beef, the new drummer. Up until his arrival, Adrian was the drummer and singer. They decided to get another drummer so Adrian could focus on the vocals. Beef is a solid drummer. I am picky about drummers and I have all the respect for Beef...AND Adrian, who I used to give lessons to briefly!
One peice of advice I strongly recommend to these young guys is GET OUT OF HOUSTON! Move to Austin, at least! They will stagnate here in Houston. It's sad, but true! They can be the biggest band here and NEVER get noticed by the right people. They have the world at their fingertips and need to jump on the train while it's moving. I see big things for this band if they keep on doing what they are doing. 
ANOTHER RUN has a cd out right now. It has been in my cd player since I got it. After the second listen, I was singing along to some of the songs. Their audience knows every word to every song and sing along...loudly! This band has it all. Youth, Talent, Looks, Fans...they just need a manager and a label.
So, if I haven't convinced you that these boys are the shit...find out for yourself! Go see them next time they are playing. I'm sure you can google or facebook them and find a schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment